C. Hain, MD Page last modified:
July 20, 2014
Behcets disease is a chronic systemic autoimmune disease characterized by chronic vasculitis of small vessels.
Signs and Symptoms:
The disease affects men and women to an equal extent. It may involve the pulmonary, gastrointestional, central nervous system, and cardiovascular systems.
Hearing is commonly impaired in Behcet's disease and rates vary between 24 to 62%. (Brama, and Fainaru, 1980; Evereklioglu et al, 2001;
Gemignani al, 1991, Pollock et al, 2001; Sonbay et al, 2014
). According to
Kulahli, I., K. Balci, et al. (2005), the type of hearing loss is high-frequency sensorineural. ABR tests are generally not abnormal (Sonbay et al, 2014).
The literature also supports findings of frequent vestibular problems. (Cadoni et al, 2004; Choung et al, 2006; Evereklioglu et al, 2001, Gemignani al, 1991, Pollock et al, 2001). However, not everyone finds a high prevalence (e.g.
Kulahli et al. 2005). Sugasawa, J. and S. Ishikawa (1986) suggested that there was high VOR gain. We think that this is more likely than not an error as it is simply not plausible that a multisystem disease should have any particular predilection for cerebellar VOR pathways.
Behcets disease is based on recurrent oral ulerations together with at least two of the following: eye lesions, genital ulcers, skin lesions.
See also: Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease
- Brama, I. and M. Fainaru (1980). "Inner ear involvement in Behcet's disease." Arch Otolaryngol 106(4): 215-7.
- Cadoni, G., S. Agostino, C. Manganelli, et al. (2004). "Vestibular evaluation in Behcet's disease. Personal experience." Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital24(5): 262-6.
- Choung, Y. H., M. J. Cho, K. Park, et al. (2006). "Audio-vestibular disturbance in patients with Behcet's disease." Laryngoscope116(11): 1987-90.
- Evereklioglu, C., Y. Cokkeser, S. Doganay, et al. (2001). "Audio-vestibular evaluation in patients with Behcet's syndrome." J Laryngol Otol115(9): 704-8.
- Gemignani, G., S. Berrettini, P. Bruschini, et al. (1991). "Hearing and vestibular disturbances in Behcet's syndrome." Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol100(6): 459-63.
- Kulahli, I., K. Balci, E. Koseoglu, et al. (2005). "Audio-vestibular disturbances in Behcet's patients: report of 62 cases." Hear Res203(1-2): 28-31.
- Pollak, L., L. M. Luxon and D. O. Haskard (2001). "Labyrinthine involvement in Behcet's syndrome." J Laryngol Otol 115(7): 522-9.
- Sonbay ND, Saka C, Tatlican S, Vuralkan E, Aygener N, Eren C, Akin I.J Laryngol Otol. 2014 Jul 17:1-4. [Epub ahead of print] Audiological evaluation in patients with Behçet's disease.
- Sugasawa, J. and S. Ishikawa (1986). "Vestibulo-ocular reflex abnormality in Behcet's disease." Jpn J Ophthalmol 30(1): 91-9.
August 3, 2016
, Timothy C. Hain, M.D.
All rights reserved.
Last saved on
August 3, 2016